Fixes for Common iOS 10 Issues
iOS 10 was announced at Apple's WWDC on June 13, 2016, and was release on September 13, 2016. According to MacRumor, iOS 10 has been installed on 76% of iOS devices accessing the App Store by January 4, 2017. Each version of iOS is meant to fix some bugs and meanwhile bring surprises to users. There are quite a few new features unveiled on iOS 10:
1. Messages has additional emojis and third-party apps can extend functionality in iMessage.
2. Maps has a redesigned interface and additional third-party functions.
3. The Home app manages "HomeKit" enabled accessories.
4. Photos has algorithmic search and categorization of media known as "Memories".
5. Siri is compatible with third-party app-specific requests, such as starting workouts apps, sending IMs, requesting the Lyft or Uber apps or to use payment functions.
However, along with its standout features, here come some complaints. There are plenty of iPhone/iPad/iPod users that ever posted their problems related to iOS 10 on Facebook or Twitter. Now, I've gleaned 9 most common questions with solutions below. If you're facing an iOS issue, perhaps you can get the answer here.
- Problem 1: iDevice Got Stuck in the Process of Installation
- Problem 2: Dying Battery Life
- Problem 3: No Connection over Cellular Data
- Problem 4: Wi-Fi Problem on iOS Device
- Problem 5: Bluetooth Issue on iPhone/iPad/iPod
- Problem 6: Screen Got Unresponsive Somehow
- Problem 7: Apps Start Acting up
- Problem 8: Performance Lag after iOS 10
- Problem 9: iMessages Issue on iPhone
Problem 1: iDevice Got Stuck in the Process of Installation
Some people report that their iPhone are frozen and stuck at the very beginning of installing and upgrading iOS 10. Sadly, users encounter this issue most when updating to the latest version of iOS every time and it probably cannot be addressed once and for good.
1. Hard reboot your iPhone by pressing and holding down "Home" and "Sleep/Wake" button at a time.
2. Wait until the iOS device drains out and automatically powers off. Then, start up your iPhone again.
3. Use iOS System Recovery to get out of this trouble.
If your problem's fixed, try to hook up to iTunes and upgrade to latest iOS this time.
Problem 2: Dying Battery Life
This must be the most complaint problem over the whole internet. Users complain that they found the battery dying much faster than ever, or ever suddenly shut down.
Reportedly, this problem happens mainly on models like iPhone 6/6 plus, iPhone 6s/6s plus. Actually, Apple has admitted that a very small number of iPhone 6s devices may unexpectedly shut down, so there is a free battery replacement for those eligible.
However, for those users who are not using iPhone 6s, you might as well take a try on the following methods.
1. Reset iPhone with iTunes. Launch the latest version of iTunes and get your iPhone connected. Then, click "Restore" button.
2. Reset iPhone to factory settings. On iPhone, go to "General" >"Reset" > "Erase All Content and Settings" and confirm to erase data on iPhone.
Note that you should do a full backup before resetting your iPhone.
Problem 3: No Connection over Cellular Data
Also, they are people saying that they cannot connect over cellular data but Wi-Fi after iOS update. At first, make sure that you're not out of service or your service provider isn't experiencing an outage. Here are some remedies that you might give it a shot.
1. Power off your device and turn it on to see whether it helps.
2. Go to "Cellular Data". Then, toggle on and off the bar. Also, scroll down and make sure that the app you're using has been enabled to use cellular data.
3. Reset network condition by go to "General" > "Reset" > "Reset Network Settings" and see whether it works.
Problem 4: Wi-Fi Problem on iOS Device
Same with cellular problem, some report that their iPhone/iPad is unable to connect to Wi-Fi. Please make sure that you've entered the right password for the Wi-Fi. If it still fails, try the following solutions.
1. Reboot your iDevice and see whether it can connect to Wi-Fi.
2. Reset Wi-Fi condition. Go to "General" > "Reset" > "Reset Network Settings".
3. Reconfigure your Wi-Fi Router.
Problem 5: Bluetooth Issue on iPhone/iPad/iPod
iOS users say that there is a broken Bluetooth connections between speaker, headsets and Bluetooth audio in a car. This issue seems a bit difficult to nail down and get it solved. However, there are some tricks you should try.
1. Forget the Bluetooth Connection and try reconnecting again. Navigate to "Settings" > "Bluetooth" and select the target device. Then, tap "Forget this Device". After that, please connect again.
2. If it fails, please try to reset your device's network settings by heading to "Settings" > "General" > "Reset" > "Reset Network Settings". Then, see whether it works again.
Problem 6: Touchscreen Got Unresponsive Somehow
In some cases, iOS users found that their iPhones tend to get stuck and unresponsive now and then. Above all, this might be common when you just updated the iOS. If it's been a long day after software update, please seek help from the fixes below.
1. Turn off and turn on your iPhone again. Normally, the start-up process will reconfigure settings to adjust to latest version of iOS.
2. Try resetting your iPhone to factory settings. Please go to "Settings" > "General" > "Reset" > "Reset All Content and Settings". Please try this after you back up your iPhone.
3. Try iOS System Recovery to fix iPhone frozen problem.
Problem 7: Apps Start Acting up
Sometimes, it happens that some apps perform strangely after iOS update. Some are unable to open while others get stuck when open. It's normal especially when iPhone just upgraded before long for the reason that some apps become incompatible after iOS update.
Therefore, you should check for the updates on App Store. If not, wait for a few days. Or, you can directly uninstall and download the app again. If it still fails to perform, you might try emailing the developer.
Problem 8: Performance Lag after iOS 10
If you're facing performance problems like lag, to be honest, it's a bit hard to fix it. Though the most common workaround is to perform a reset on iPhone via "Erase All Content and Settings" or iTunes. Perhaps this problem is not much helpful for you but I'm trying my best to work on it.
Problem 9: iMessages Issue on iPhone
iOS 10 update brings many new features to users. iMessages also got big changes this time, but some report that they are having problem while using iMessages. For instance, Anna B has tweeted a post saying that she cannot access to iMessages. If your iMessags begin acting up, please try the following solutions.
1. Toggle on and off iMessage bar. Go to "Settings" and scroll down to choose "Messages" option. Disable "iMessage" for a couple of minutes and then turn it on.
2. Since iMessages using your Apple ID to send texts over network, you might try to log out and then log in your account again.
3. Go to "Settings" > "General” and swipe down to the bottom to select "Reset". Then, tap "Reset Network Settings" to see whether it helps.
Hope you can find the solution to your issue here. However, if the problem you're confronting isn't listed here, please drop your issue below at the comment column or take a look at Fixes for iPhone 7 Problems. I will try my best to help you out as soon as possible.