iPhone Frozen During Updating or Jailbreaking
"I was waiting so long to update my iPhone 6s until I realized it was in fact frozen in the process, and now it's unresponsive! Help!"
Almost every time when Apple launches a new version of iOS, we've received lots of complaints from iOS users exactly like the above one. It's undeniable that front-edged as iPhone/iPad/iPod is, this problem can never be effectively addressed. Sometimes, you're prompted that there is a software update available, and you go to "General" > "Software Update" to have your device updated. It nevertheless turns out to be stuck in the process of updating. That could really drive someone nuts.
However, other users hit this snag when it comes to jailbreaking their iPhone. Though a jailbroken iPhone enables users to gain more authority to access and utilize the device, it comes with some security problems. If you are not a tech-savvy, it's not really recommended to jailbreak your iPhone. What if your iPhone bumps into the same situation, what to do? Scroll down and get your idea here.
- Part 1: Why iPhone is Frozen During Update or Jailbreaking?
- Part 2: How to 'Unfreeze' Your iPhone?
- Tips & Tricks: How to Prevent iPhone from Being Frozen again?
- Facts: What New Features iOS 10 is Coming with?
Part 1: Why iPhone is Frozen During Update or Jailbreaking?
There are several reasonsthat may cause this issue, of which the most common ones are these as below.
1. There is no much storage. If your iPhone is running out of memory, this may result in making your iPhone stuck in the process of updating to the latest version, for the update needs to download some firmware. Therefore, you'd better make room for it.
2. There is a corrupted file or app on your iPhone. Though apps downloaded from App Store works well most of the time, some of them appear to be in a bad performance. So, if you know that there is a file or app unable to open or perform, delete/uninstall it before your update your device.
3. Your iPhone is overheated. This reason may seem a little bit unbelievable. I once told my friend so, and he thought I was making nonsense. However, it really works! Try to cool down your iOS device if it's getting hot!
Part 2: How to 'Unfreeze' Your iPhone?
Unfreeze Via iTunes
To unfreeze your frozen iPhone, Apple recommends users to connect the device to iTunes. Then, iTunes will automatically detect that you device is experiencing problems showed as below.
Your choices are either to "Update" or "Restore" your iOS device, but I am afraid that "Update" doesn't works most of the time, at lease for me. I've tried several times, but it reminds me that "You will need to restore it to its factory settings". So, there is only one choice left, "Restore". However, most users must have known that it would eliminate all the data stored in iPhone. If you've got backups on iTunes or iCloud, it's worth trying to fix your iPhone to normal by "Restore", or some of your contents will be wiped out. But, what if you didn't have backed up your iPhone recently or never, you can try iOS System Recovery to avoid data loss.
Unfreeze Via iOS System Recovery
iOS System Recovery is a refined software for addressing all kinds of system issues like being stuck in Recovery Mode, DFU Mode, blank screen as well as frozen and unresponsive screen. It takes less than 20 minutes to get you out of trouble without any data loss.
Step 1. Connect to the Software
Download and install iOS System Recovery for the first time use. Then run the software and connect your frozen iPhone to it. Now, click on "More Tools" from the left panel, and select "iOS System Recovery". Next, hit the "Start" button.
Step 2. Download Firmware Package
At this step, the program will automatically detect your device model and system version. If you find the information is wrong, please select it by yourself and click "Download".
Note that you could otherwise choose "copy and use other downloaders to download the package if it fails to download the firmware package.
Step 3. Fix your iPhone back to Normal
When done downloading firmware package, the software will automatically perform the repairing process, which will be done in no time. Then, your device will automatically reboot and comes back to normal.
Note that if your iPhone doesn't work as usual after the reboot, try the "Advanced Mode".
Tips & Tricks: How to Prevent iPhone from Being Frozen again?
As an old saying goes, always prepare for the rainy day (Never mind if you never heard of this saying). Prevention always sets us free from many troubles. iPhone being frozen during updating or jailbreaking is really an annoyance, so why not save yourself trouble? There are a few tips for you. Give it a shot!
1. Keep iPhone from high/low temperatures. Extreme temperature causes iPhone malfunction. Never leave your iPhone in a refrigerator or a parked car under a big sun. Make sure that you're using your iPhone in a proper occasion at acceptable temperatures. Don't using your iPhone when you're taking a sun bath or having a sauna.
2. Since insufficient storage is one culprit of this unpleasant situation, make sure that your device has enough memory of more than 250 MB. How to check for it? See: "Settings" > "General" > "About" > "Available".
3. Delete corrupted files or apps. Thus, check for the conditions of apps or files at first. If you've noticed that there are one or multiple file/app don't work well, you'd better deleted them before updating to the latest version.
4. Backing up all the data on iPhone before the update is always a great idea for any reason. In order to do so, you can back up your device by iTunes or iCloud.
iTunes: Connect iPhone to iTunes, go to "File" > "Device" > "Back up".
iCloud: Open "Settings" on iPhone, go to “iCloud" > "Log in (if prompted)" > "Backup" > "Back Up Now".
Facts: What New Features iOS 10 is Coming with?
Since iOS 10 has announced at WWDC 2016 in San Francisco on June 13, 2016, it is said that the public version will eventually roll out on September 13. That is to say, it's now available for iOS users to try it. I believe you definitely would like to have a try on it.
iOS 10 will be released as a free upgrade for the following devices:
iPad 4 and later (i.e., iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro (9.7in and 12.9in)
iPad mini 2 and later (iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4)
iPod touch 6th generation
iPhone 5 and later (iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE)
Also, there are so new features that probably would catch your attention:
1. Raise to wake your iPhone. Just pick up your iPhone and it'll wake up.
2. Rich lockscreen notifications and a button to clear all notifications.
3. Water detection. iOS 10 will warn of possible water damage and provide related instructions.
4. A brand new look of Control Center.
5. Lockscreen camera and 'widgets'.
6. Big change for Siri: Improved talks, third-party apps and Siri-influenced Quick Type keyboard.
The anticipated iOS 10 is available now. If your device is stuck and frozen when updating to iOS 10 or jailbreaking, you can easily solve this problem via iOS System Recovery. Or, you can try iTunes. However, don't forget to back up your data before doing it.